Friday 30 August 2013

Great dinner party pre-entree

I don't mind a bit of a dead posh dinner party. I usually make it for eight guests and am partial to a five-course menu. It's a good thing then that I like to cook. Phew. My main is always some hearty number like shanks or a curry, something I can make the day before. Soup features prominently as well.

But before the soup, I like to do something light, like oysters with gin and grapefruit juice and coriander, or a caprese. Usually something that doesn't need cooking. So this one is super fantastic as well. I like anything that looks like fun to eat. This little monster fits right into the category.

Don't be over-fussed by my quantities. Make it up as you go, and as long as it looks good enough so that you'd eat it, then your work is done xo

Serves 4

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped finely
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
sea salt and cracked black pepper
2 tubs of large bocconcini balls, drained and patted dry
1 avocado
1 tub of store-bough char-grilled capsicum
50g rocket
8 slices prosciutto

Method

Place the oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.

Slice the bocconcini balls in 3 slices. Arrange on plates. Slice the avocado and layer on top of cheese, then top with capsicum, rocket and prosciutto. Have some fun here, and drape the stuff all around each other, maximising the colour.

Drizzle over the dressing and serve.